Polish Mother’s Memorial Hospital Research Institute is divided into two pavilions “A” and “B”. In “A” pavilion there are 14 departments and in “B” pavilion 14 departments.
Department of Neonatology
Head of Department: Prof. Ewa Gulczyńska
phone: +48 42271-1041
Department of Neonatology encompasses the area of:
- rescue of preterm infants with very low (<1500g) and extreme low (<1000g) birth weight,
- using of controlled cooling (therapeutic hypothermia) in neonates in case of severe asphyxia,
- wide range of diagnostics of congenital defects and preparing neonates to reconstructive procedures (some of them are performed in labour ward).
Achievements of Department of Neonatology:
- it is one of the leading Department of Neonatology in Poland and the biggest department in Łódź region,
- concentration mainly on the treatment of preterm infants of very low and extreme low birth weight (about 200 children a year),
- implementation of new techniques in the treatment of neonatal respiratory failure, especially in preterm infants,
- implementation of neurodevelopmental care adjusting environment of neonatal intensive care to the individual needs of the patients,
- the department has a unique incubator for researches in terms of magnetic resonance, which allows for MNR imaging,
- the department is equipped with digital system of colour photography of angle glaucoma, retina and fluoresceinangiography,
- cooperation among experts developing neonatal nutrition standards.
Department of Perinatology and Gynecology
Head of Department: Prof. Przemysław Oszukowski
phone: +48 42271-1081
Department of Perinatology and Gynecology encompasses the area of:
- premature births,
- infectious diseases in pregnancy.
Department of Operative Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology
Head of Department: Prof. Krzysztof Szyłło
phone: +48 42271-1161
Department of Operative Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology encompasses the area of:
- operational and conservative gynecology and gynecologic oncology.
Achievements of Department of Operative Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology:
- reconstructive operation carried out in cases of congenital malformations of reproductive organ,
- laparoscopic operation in case of deep invasive endometriosis, including bladder endometriosis,
- lymphadenectomy carried out via laparoscopy in the case of endometrial cancer.
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Head of Department: Prof. Grzegorz Krasomski
phone: +48 42271-1061
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology encompasses the area of:
- medical care of women during preconception period,
medical care of women during pregnancy,
- medical care during and after childbirth,
- medical care in the filed of gynecology.
Achievements of Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology:
- comprehensive treatment of difficulties during pregnancy with particular emphasis on the establishment of lay sutures on isthmus uterine before a planned pregnancy via transabdominal route,
- conservative treatment of ectopic pregnancy,
- studying of own life- saving method in case of severe pathology of placenta which is enlarged placenta,
- early diagnosis of macrosomia- prevention of neonatal injuries of neonate.
Department of Operative Gynecology, Endoscopy and Gynecologic Oncology
Head of Department: Prof. Andrzej Malinowski
phone: +48 42271-1131
Department of Operative Gynecology, Endoscopy and Gynecologic Oncology encompasses the area of:
- diagnostics and treatment of women in case of genital diseases.
Achievementsof Department of Operative Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology:
- operation of total laparoscopic hysterectomy with removal of pelvic lymph node in endometrial cancer,
- formation of vagina in case of congenital absence of this organ (for example Rokitansky- Kistner- Hauser syndrome),
- reconstructive surgery in static disorders of sex organs of women with using prosthetic materials,
- vaginal or uterine suspension to the sacrospinous ligament in static disorders of sex organs of women.
Department of Surgical Oncology and Breast Diseases
Head of Department: Prof. Marek Zadrożny
phone: +48 42271-1101
Department of Surgical Oncology and Breast Diseases encompasses the area of:
- modern and complex surgical treatment of women with breast disease, including the wide range of reconstruction treatment,
- performing an operation, including thyroid surgery, cholecystectomy, various types of plastic surgery of hernia, surgery of skin cancer (melanoma), all lymphadenectomy and operations within the abdominal cavity.
Achievements of Department of Surgical Oncology and Breast Diseases:
- intraoperative diagnosis of metastatic breast cancer to sentinel lymph node,
- searching for new molecular prognostic factors in breast cancer.
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases
Head of Department: Prof. Andrzej Lewiński
phone: +48 42271-1141
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases encompasses the area of:
- evaluation of the effectiveness of iodine prophylaxis among school- age children and pregnant women,
- immune disorders in inflammatory diseases and in cancer of endocrine glands,
- researche with the use of modern techniques in thyroid surgery to avoid the risk of laryngeal nerve damage,
- optimization of diagnostics and treatment of children with short stature,
- hormonal and metabolic disorders in children with low birth weight.
Achievements of Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases:
- international cooperation with Universities in Great Britain, Germany,
- clinical trials on effectiveness of growth hormone therapy for children with deficit in birth weight.
Department of Gynecology, Fertility and Fetal Therapy
Head of Department: Prof. Krzysztof Szaflik
phone: +48 42271-1181
Department of Gynecology, Fertility and Fetal Therapy encompasses the area of:
- intrauterine fetal therapy- correction and diminution of destructive consequences of defects or diseases of fetus (twin to twin transfusion syndrome),
- invasive diagnostic techniques which enable for detection of defects connected with chromosomal abnormalities,
- comprehensive prenatal diagnostics.
Achievements of Department of Gynecology, Fertility and Fetal Therapy:
- international cooperation with Universities in Belgium, Germany.
Department of Genetics
Head of Department of Genetics: Prof. Lucjusz Jakubowski
phone: +48 42271-1271
Department of Genetics encompasses the area of:
- the analysis of genotype- phenotype correlation (implementation of this method and its use for research purposes),
- evaluation of the usefulness of ultrasound new markers for prenatal identification of selected types of developmental disorders in the fetus,
- typing and analysis of selected genes in cases of developmental disorders or functions of reproductive system,
- implementation of molecular techniques with the use of methods QF-PCR, MLPA and FISH for invasive prenatal diagnosis of fetal malformations.
Department of Pathology
Head of Department of Pathology: Stanisław Łukaszek, PhD
phone: +48 42271-1281
Department of Pathology encompasses the area of:
- disorders of the molecular mechanisms in the process of cancer transformation,
- early diagnosis of molar pregnancy acinar (research on the evaluation of materials from abortions).
Laboratory Diagnostics Center
Head of Laboratory Diagnostics Center: Ewa Świątkowska, PhD
phone: +48 42271-1511
Laboratory Diagnostics Center encompasses the area of:
- laboratory tests of both basic and specialized experiments in the field of: diagnostics of thromboembolism, hemostatic disorders- deficiencies of clot’s factor, immunological diagnostics of autoimmune diseases and immunodeficiency, complete hormonal diagnostics of endocrine disorders, the initial diagnostics of metabolic defects, full serological diagnostics of toxoplasmosis and other parasitosis, continuous bacteriological diagnostics.
Department of Prenatal Cardiology
Head of Department: Prof. Maria Respondek- Liberska
phone: +48 42271-1556
Department of Prenatal Cardiology encompasses the area of:
- verification of anomalies ascertained at the screening obstetric ultrasound examinations or biochemical tests.
Achievements of Department of Prenatal Cardiology:
- providing professional prenatal cardiac monitoring,
- organizing a system of electronic archiving of images and video documentation of researches, the creation of computer database (about 1800 records of fetuses, pregnant women and infants).
Department of Diagnostic Imaging
Head of Department: Prof. Tadeusz Biegański
phone: +48 42271-1571
Department of Diagnostic Imaging encompasses the area of:
- diagnostic imaging of congenital malformations with particular emphasis on genetic bone diseases,
- diagnostic imaging of diseases in neonatal and infancy period,
- radiation protection of children as patients in clinical computed tomography.
Achievements of Department of Diagnostic Imaging:
- international cooperation with Universities in Cape Town, South Africa; Sydney, Australia; Seoul, Korea; New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
Department of Cardiology
Head of Department: Prof. Jadwiga A. Moll
phone: +48 42271-1471
Department of Cardiology encompasses the area of:
- diagnostics and treatment of children with diseases of circulatory system, including children with congenital heart defects,
- comprehensive assessment of the treatment results of vascular transposition of great trunks (TGA) using anatomical correction,
- comprehensive diagnostics and optimization of treatment in congenital heart diseases (implementation of modern diagnostic techniques 3D, TISSUE DOPPLER),
- regular outpatient care for patients with heart problems carried out by highly qualified staff,
- interventional treatment of congenital cardiovascular defects in children with isolated and complex defects before and after the surgery,
- implementation of intervention strategies enables the improvement of clinical status of patients,
- analysis of arrhythmias and conduction of children’s heart
Department of Cardiac Surgery
Head of Department: Prof. Jacek Moll
phone: +48 42271-1451
Department of Cardiac Surgery encompasses the area of:
- comprehensive assessment of the treatment results of vascular transposition of great trunks (TGA) using anatomical correction.
Achievements of Department of Cardiac Surgery:
- training in operational techniques and learning new skills to prepare the patient for surgery and postoperative procedures for scholars (cardiologists, heart surgeons, anesthesiologists) from Ukraine.
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology
Head of Department: Prof. Kryspin Ryszard Niedzielski
phone: +48 42271-1351
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology encompasses the area of:
- comprehensive orthopedic care from the first days of life, which is then continued in Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology,
- early diagnostics, treatment and systematic realization of therapeutic plan that is the optimal solution for children with severe congenital disorders of musculoskeletal system,
- modern surgical treatment of motion organ injuries,
- treatment of children with neurological disorders, including children with cerebral palsy,
- comfort and reliable information for the patient, accurate and complete diagnostics of injuries, minimally invasive treatment, possible rapid return of the patient to full fitness.
Achievements of Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology:
- international cooperation with University of California, San Francisco, Institute for Human Genetics; Radboud University Medical Center Nijmegen Department of Biomaterials in the Netherlands.
Department of Neurosurgery
Head of Department: Prof. Lech Polis
phone: +48 42271-1361
Department of Neurosurgery encompasses the area of:
- research focused mainly on problems of diagnostics, the choice of treatment and its results in children with various forms of cardiovascular disorders of cerebrospinal fluid,
- molecular research of brain tumors of children.
Achievements of Department of Neurosurgery:
- international cooperation with McGill University Health Center, Montreal Children’s Hospital, Canada (molecular studies of childhood brain tumors).
Department of Neurology
Head of Department: Prof. Mariusz Stasiołek
phone: +48 42271-1371
Department of Neurology encompasses the area of
- treatment of children with seizure disorders (etiology, diagnostics and therapeutic procedures),
- treatment of demyelinating diseases in children and adolescents,
- research on malignant nervous system diseases in children.
Department of Otolaryngology
Head of Department: Prof. Wiesław Konopka
phone: +48 42271- 1481
Department of Otolaryngology encompasses the area of:
- researches using subjective and objective methods of hearing tests,
- genetic researches of children from the risk group with developing hearing loss or deafness.
Department of Gastroenterology, Allergology and Pediatrics/ GAP Department
Head of Department: Prof. Elżbieta Czkwianianc
phone: +48 42271-1341
Department of Gastroenterology, Allergology and Pediatrics/ GAP Department encompasses the area of:
- researches on gastrointestinal diseases and allergic diseases in terms of genetic, immunologic, environmental and infectious factors,
- implementation of modern diagnostic and therapeutic methods for diseases of the respiratory system, digestive system and other pediatric diseases,
- treatment of children with obesity and metabolic syndrome.
Achievements of Department of Gastroenterology, Allergology and Pediatrics/ GAP Department:
- the department takes part in the German- Polish consortium in the field of achalasia.
Department of Ophthalmology
Head of Department: Dorota Tomaszkiewicz- Mondry, PhD
phone: +48 42271-1491
Department of Ophthalmology encompasses the area of:
- treatment of eye surface diseases,
- vision rehabilitation,
- comprehensive ophthalmic supervision of premature baby in neonatal units with particular emphasis on retinopathy.
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care
Head of Department: Wojciech Krajewski, PhD
phone: +48 42271-1421
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care encompasses the area of:
- complete care for pediatric patients and adults following general, orthopedic, ophthalmic and laryngological surgery as well as specialized cardiosurgical and neurosurgical procedures before, during and after their time in the operating room,
- anesthesia of patients for short procedures and diagnostic examinations outside the operating theatre i.e .: CT, MRI, hearing tests, gastroscopy and colonoscopy
- the provision of pediatric intensive care for hospital patients and the macro-region of Lódź, with a total of 17 intensive care posts,
- a separate cardiosurgery intensive care unit for patients following cardiac surgery, including surgery with the use of cardiopulmonary bypass,
- an independent neuronavigation and neuromonitoring department for the diagnosis and treatment of neoplasm of the central nervous system,
- immune disorders in children after surgery in cardiopulmonary bypass,
- immune disorders in children with severe infection (sepsis),
- coagulation disorders in children with heart diseases, evaluation of coagulation disorders in neonates and infants with congenital heart disease in the perioperative period,
- the assessment of renal function in children with heart defects after surgery,
- the analysis of the effects of craniocerebral injuries and effects of treatment in the material of department of intensive care.
Achievements of Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care:
- research on the effectiveness of therapeutic hypothermia in the treatment of CNS injury,
- studies on the effects of innate immune disorders in children with heart defects, and sepsis,
- diagnosis and treatment of perioperative renal failure,
- combined method of anesthesia for Myelomeningocele,
- diagnosis and therapy of coagulation disorders in newborns and infants in the perioperative period.
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Urology and Transplantology
Head of Department: Prof. Anna Piaseczna- Piotrowska
phone: +48 42271-1401
Department of Pediatric Surgery and Urology encompasses the area of:
- modern complex diagnostic and therapeutic management of newborns and children requiring surgical intervention,
- newborn surgery – in particular diagnostics, treatment and postoperative management of congenital defects and other surgical diseases in newborns and infants,
- researches on innervation of digestive tract,
- researches on pathogenesis of certain congenital malformations of genitourinary system,
- researches on immune disorders in children with varying degrees of severity of disease,
- intestinal motility disorders of childhood,
- postoperative complication in infants.
Achievements of Department of Pediatric Surgery and Urology:
- due to extensive experience and training in various Polish and foreign centers our department has become a leading Polish center in the diagnostics, treatment and long-term follow up of fetuses and newborns with congenital anomalies and syndromes of defects (as for example VACTREL,
- creation, in cooperation with colleagues from Lodz University of Technology and Tricomed, and practical application of Tegmentum (polyester mesh with polyurethane or collagen coating – patented material) as a substitute of abdominal wall in congenital defects such as omphalocele and gastroschisis,
- since 2007 we conduct Transanal Endorectal Pull-Through (TEPT) operations in the treatment of newborns and infants with HIrschsrung disease (congenital dysganglionosis),
- application of the Polish prototype of bladder pressure measuring device (in cooperation with Prof. Jan Burcan and his team from Lodz University of Technology) during surgical closure of abdominal wall, to avoid serious complications connected with abdominal compartment syndrome, which may occur in the course of treatment of abdominal wall defect and diaphragmatic hernia (patent and application in Poland),
- creation of a management algorithm in gastroesophageal reflux disease in infants,
- successful separation conjoined twins – operation of omphalopagus,
- introduction of rectal suction biopsy as a fundamental diagnostic test in constipation in infants and small children. Pathologic examination of samples obtained during suction biopsy from about 600 patients with chronic constipation confirmed the usefulness of this test in the diagnostics of constipation in children, not only as a screening test but also its high compatibility with the results of full thickness intestinal wall biopsy, which has a high value in the diagnostics of Hirschsprung disease and other intestinal wall innervation abnormalities,
- in cooperation with the Department of Gynecology, Reproduction and Fetal Therapy ICZMP we participate in the diagnostics and intrauterine treatment of fetuses with congenital malformations of the thoracic and abdominal organs – creation of an expert group for multispecialist care of fetuses with diagnosed congenital defects,
- in our department minimally-invasive diagnostic and operative techniques are available, in particular in newborns and infants with congenital defects of the abdominal and thoracic cavity organs,
- creation and implementation in clinical practice of a diagnostic and therapeutic algorithm (including urodynamic studies) in newborns with prenatally diagnosed genitourinary tract congenital defects.
Department of Pediatrics and Immunology with Nephrology Unit
Head of Department: Prof. Krzysztof Zeman
phone: +48 42271-1381
Department of Pediatrics and Immunology with Nephrology Unit encompasses the area of:
- providing services in the field of general pediatrics, clinical immunology and allergology for children, nephrology for children, adult nephrology, dialysis therapy for children and adults and nutritional therapy.
Achievements of Department of Pediatrics and Immunology with Nephrology Unit:
- the department is a reference centre for the Łódź region in the filed of children nephrology and dialysis, but also the department that qualifies for kidney transplantation in children, including toxicological dialysis,
- the department conducts treatment of children with primary immunodeficiency by immunoglobulin preparations,
- the department has an accreditation for the specialized training in the field of pediatrics, nephrology and clinical immunology.
Department of Intensive Care and Congenital Malformations of newborns and infants
Head of Department: Prof. Iwona Maroszyńska
phone: +48 42271-1412
Department of Intensive Care and Congenital Malformations of newborns and infants encompasses the area of:
- diagnosis and treatment of congenital malformations,
- perioperative care of neonates with congenital malformations,
- treatment of severe respiratory failure,
- providing extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in newborn with severe respiratory failure (ECMO),
- rescue of preterm infants with very low (<1500g) and extreme low (<1000g) birth weight.
An important subject of our activity is cooperation with other neonatal-obstetrics departments in Lodz region. As a reference center we coordinate transportation of newborn in the Lodz region.
Achievements of Department of Intensive Care and Congenital Malformations of newborns and infants
- It is the only center in Poland, providing optimal conditions for diagnosis and comprehensive treatment of the most severe and complex malformations. Knowledge and experience of the team as well as the opportunity to work with experts in various fields of obstetrics, pediatrics (cardiology, gastrology, immunology, nephrology) and pediatric surgery (cardiac surgery, neurosurgery, general surgery, urology, ophthalmology, otolaryngology) made it possible to provide the diagnosis and treatment of the fetus and then continue the care in neonates with malformations. Department of Neonatal Intensive Care and Congenital Malformations is the place where the multidisciplinary care is focused at the bedside.
- It is the leading department in Poland, providing care in neonates with congenital diaphragmatic hernia, experienced in the treatment of newborns after FETO (fetal endoscopic tracheal occlusion) procedure. Department participate in Congenital Study Group.
- It is the only center in Poland providing extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in newborn with severe respiratory failure (ECMO).
- Implementation of new techniques in the treatment of neonatal respiratory failure (NAVA – neurally adjusted ventilatory assist), bi-level ventilation, HFOV (high frequency oscylatory ventilation), iNO (inhaled nitric oxide).
- Implementation of new monitoring techniques (NIRS – near-infrared spectroscopy , cardiac output measurement).
- Providing perioperative goal directed therapy in newborns with congenital malformations using NIRS technology.
Department of Rehabilitation
Head of Department: Marcin Machnia
phone: +48 42271-1501
Department of Rehabilitation encompasses the area of:
- taking care and rehabilitation of children
Unit of Outpatient Clinics- provides outpatient services under the contract with the National Health Fund, including diagnostic, therapeutic and preventive examinations for patients. The clinic is responsible for gynecological care for patients, pregnant women as well as girls form birth to 18 years of age. What is more, there are several clinics in Institute such as: Clinic of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Clinic of Obstetrics I, Clinic of Obstetrics II, Clinic of Gynecology, Clinic of Endoscopy Gynecology and Menopause Diseases, Clinic of Gynecology for Children in Adolescence, Clinic of Surgical Oncology and Nipple Diseases, Clinic of Neonatal Pathology, Clinic of Genetics, Workplace Clinic, Clinic of Primary Health Care, Clinic of Pediatrics, Clinic of Audiology, Clinic of Cardiology.